Monday, December 10, 2012

One Great Dad and So Many Wonderful People!

Many years ago, when I was little (the kids I know think that was a LONG time ago), I used to be sad that my birthday was in December. It was right between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so my siblings who had gone away to college (I was only 5 when my oldest sister went) would come home for Thanksgiving and for Christmas, but it was too hard for them to come celebrate my birthday in the middle of the two holidays. I don't remember overly complaining about it, but like I say, I was kind of sad that my family couldn't come.

One year my dad told me that he was going to make my birthday special. He proceeded to tell me that we were going to celebrate by getting the Christmas tree on the weekend closest to my birthday. I got to pick out our trees and be in charge of decorating. I still remember how special I felt. Although my dad still knows me, he doesn't remember how he blessed me those many years ago. However, his thoughtfulness has impacted me all these years, as I too try to think of ways to bless others.

Today, after church and the traditional taking my parents to lunch, I came home and went to bed for awhile. As I was waking from my nap, I heard the cracking of wood outside and then the light beam from a flash light came through my window. I heard people trying to keep secrets and trying to be quiet so as not to wake me. I came out of my room and saw the girls that live here making me birthday cards. They gave me cookies (I don't think birthday cookies have calories). Their mom, was making me birthday dinner. Then, commotion at the door as Jonathan and Josiah attempted to get a very large and natural looking tree into the house. How thoughtful Josiah was to remember to continue a tradition that was started years ago and bring the tree in to decorate for my birthday. The day started out a little rough because I was late taking my myasthenia pill this morning and couldn't hold my head up during church (it was OK, people thought I was praying all that time-now they probably think I am very spiritual!). The cool thing was that after resting and taking my medicine, I was strong and got to help decorate the tree! It is such a cool tree! Our definition of cool is maybe different than other people's. Our trees are very unique, we just let them grow and see how they turn out.

As I sit here looking at the tree and listening to Christmas music, I reflect on all my blessings...on all the people that have made my life rich.

God bless you, every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment